Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Sister, remember the Bible says share."

After much convincing, and reminding Beemer that God tells us to share, and talking about his memory verse about sharing, he finally caved and played nicely with Sister. And then, those hilarious and sweet words came out of his mouth. "Sister, remember the Bible says share."

I'm convinced that there is no parenting book, no parenting blog, no "best parenting article I've ever read" that has helped me more than teaching my child God's word.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-Breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"

Seriously, it doesn't get much better than that. Teaching? Rebuking? Correcting? Training? It all applies.

The internet has provided us with mass confusion as parents. Should I organize my toys in pretty little bins, with labels. Or, maybe it's better to leave them all in one big bucket. I've got too many toys. No, maybe I don't have enough. Or, they just aren't they right ones. I don't know. There are too many blogs, books and sermons for me to keep track of them all (so here I am, adding another). I've just taken bits and pieces of what works for me. But, my favorite discovery is memorizing scripture. Sister isn't old enough for it yet, but Beemer is excited for it and does it so easily! We tried when he was closer to 3 and it didn't go well. But, around 3.5 he was willing to try.

There are multiple sites on Pinterest and the web that list easy scriptures for kids. If you think it's too wordy, just shorten it and keep the meaning.

So far we've done these two:
Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away anger.
Hebrews 13:16 Remember to do good and share with others.

I think "Children obey your parents" might be next.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

If this is something you're interested in, I highly recommend looking into an Awana program. They are run at local churches (generally Baptist or Bible) and very inexpensive. I did this as a child and I can't tell you how many scriptures come to my mind from my youth. They teach a little lesson each week, they get to play games, they memorize 1-2 verses per week, learn about outreach, etc. There are incentives for completing portions of the book (badges and there's some sort of points system for shopping in the Awana store).

No comments:

Post a Comment