Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Book That Took Me 3 Hours

I haven't yet jumped on the Francis Chan bandwagon (despite the fact that I've jumped on the bandwagon of may secular book series). So, when I saw that three of his books were free on Kindle yesterday I decided to get them. I was immediately intrigued, and more than a little freaked out to read his (and Preston Sprinkle's) book about hell.

Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up


Sounds fun, right? But, as they say, we can't afford to be wrong on this subject.

The truth is, I've kind of avoided the Francis Chan books for fear of extreme conviction. Admittedly not my smartest move.

I couldn't resist picking the book up at close to midnight last night and finished it this morning. I think that might be a new record, that's faster than I read The Hunger Games (to be fair, it is MUCH shorter). Chan and Sprinkle make many great points. The American church conveniently glazes over the parts in the Bible where it talks about God's judgement. It's not comfortable. It's terrifying to say the least. But, it should drive us to change. To live right and to tell others about Jesus. To quote the book, "I really believe it's time for some of us to stop apologizing for God and start apologizing to Him for being embarrassed by the ways He has chosen to reveal Himself".

If you haven't yet gotten your free digital versions of Erasing Hell, Crazy Love and Forgotten God you should do it today. I don't know how long they will be free from the Amazon Kindle store, but they are right now! Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_12?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=francis+chan&sprefix=francis+chan%2Caps%2C237

Go get it, and read it. And then do something with the information. Personally, I'll be praying that God takes this knowledge of hell and uses it to motivate me. The best place to start, my home, I have a tin,y little captive audience who is willing to listen and learn. As we watched three episodes of Disney Jr. this morning I couldn't help but think about what a waste it was. My kids are young, they don't yet know God, they are my mission field.

You might know what you think about hell and eternity. But, I challenge you that it doesn't matter what you think. You and I don't get to decide. God has given us the truth, what are we going to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment