Sunday, May 13, 2012

The S(ubmission) Word - Part 2

In case you missed my post last week, you can read about it here. This week, we got to hear our pastor's sermon on the subject and I thought it was beautifully presented.

Here's a few of my favorite highlights that I wanted to share with you:

- The definition he gave of Submission was: "To graciously allow something to go someone else's way rather than your own way." That doesn't sound scary at all. In fact, people who always have to have their way are no fun to be around. I don't want to be that person. I definitely don't want my husband to have to live his life with that person. I'm working on it :)


- He taught to respect your husband like you would respect Jesus.The gospel is lived out most when respect is undeserved. We can't wait for our husbands to act like Jesus before we respect them like we would respect Jesus. We will most realize the grace of God when we realize how undeserving of it we are. I've often realized how drastically my love falls short of the way God loves. He's so unconditional, and by nature I am not.

- He referenced that the first word used for Eve was "helper." He said that the Hebrew equivalent of this word is when Jesus talks about the Holy Spirit in the Bible. That is really cool! I think that was my favorite part.

- If you haven't been this kind of a spouse in the past, it's ok, that doesn't have to define the kind of spouse you're going to be in the future.


P.S. He said in the beginning of his sermon that submission is not a dirty word. I have no idea if he even read my blog, but I hope I didn't offend anybody with the title of my last post (The S Word). I also didn't mean to make light of the subject in any way, in fact I meant quite the opposite. When done right, marriage is a beautiful picture of God's love for us I think submission is a topic we can all afford to brush up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment