Sunday, September 23, 2012

I Don't Want Your Husband

No offense. I don't want your husband.

I want your house. I want your flat stomach. I want your hair that holds shape. I want your flawless skin. I want your overflowing closet. I want your makeup collection. I want your decor. I want your siblings. I want your car. I want your awesome natural birth story.

I want. I want. I want.

I would generally tell you that I don't struggle with envy and jealousy. Maybe I struggle with lying too and I just don't know it.


When I fall into this trap, I have to remind myself that I don't want your whole package.

I don't want your husband. I don't want your bad health. I don't want your full time job. I don't want your stature. I don't want your children. I don't want your stress. I don't want your gas-guzzling SUV. I don't want your addictions. I don't want your personality. I don't want to live that far from my parents.

I don't want. I don't want. I don't want.

I don't want to be you. I want to be me. I might like to pick the parts and pieces of every soul around me and take what I want. But I can't do that and neither can you. So I'll stick with what I have.

I have my beautiful children. I have my family close-by. I have my great childhood memories. I have my church. I have my ministry. I have my body. I have my smile. I have my swing set in my yard with huge trees. I have my abilities. I have my husband who I am infinitely proud of. I have my relationship with God. I have my friends.

Some might say I have it all.

2 comments:

  1. So needed this tonight. What an amazing reminder of what is truly innate in all of us. By the way...you are an amazing woman of God and I am so thankful we are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I read it last night and it was an encouragement to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete