Monday, July 2, 2012

Analyze It, and Think About it Some More

I'm the QUEEN of over analyzing. I mean, seriously ya'll, the QUEEN. You can't beat me in this department!

Over analyzing is a huge thorn in my side. I get so caught up in analyzing the most unimportant stuff. "Should I have said that? Should I being doing this? Should I watch this show? Should I have this thing?" I read into everything I see and hear wondering if it meant anything. I call my friends and ask their advice. I worry and fret over the tiniest of things.

The sad part is that in doing this I miss out on seeing and hearing other things that are far more important. I pray in angst over something petty instead of praying for the salvation of a friend. I read into everything I hear and miss other messages that were more important. I fixate on the smallest of details. Some things are just not worth my breath and the wasted pages in my journal.

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2

Additionally, I become legalistic in the process. I forget that there's not anything I can do to earn God's grace. He didn't save me because He saw how good I was. He didn't save me because He knew how good I would become (good thing that's not His criteria). He saved me because of His mercy. Our pastor this weekend said multiple times that Satan doesn't care if you never sin again, He cares that you don't know Jesus. When I become so tied up with every little detail of life, I forget to see Jesus and His grace. I cheapen what He's done for me. It doesn't matter if I never, ever sin again. That will not earn me grace.


"he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" Titus 3:5

Sometimes I get so caught up in waiting for God to give me some big revelation that I forget that He has already done that! It's called His Word. I'm not saying that I don't additionally seek God's wisdom and that you shouldn't either. But, here recently, I'm learning that sometimes I might just need to see if my decision lines up with what He's already told me in His Word. If my decision falls in line with that then maybe I can move on with my life and quit analyzing it. He gave me those words for a reason. He breathed them onto the page just for me and just for you too.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment