Monday, July 21, 2014

Six Flags and Planes


This Spring we participated in the Six Flags reading program. Since I'm a homeschooler
they gave both myself and my son a free one time pass for the summer.
We've had some unusually cool weather for Texas lately so I thought I'd take advantage and
use our passes before it got TOO hot. Don't get me wrong, it was still hot! 


These little Frogg Toggs are AWESOME! Seriously. The Officer scored two free at a Hershey's 5k he worked. Not only did they pay well they handed out free chocolate milk and Frogg Toggs afterwards!

This was my "Just in case you get lost" picture.
We made our way in to Six Flags around 11. The heat really wasn't terrible. It was hot, but it stayed under 100. Barely. We hit up Bugs Bunny Boom Town first for a mini roller coaster, jet planes and a water spraying ride. I hadn't been to Six Flags in well over ten years so this was new to me. This little section was great! It was kind of like carnival rides but a little more sturdy.


"WOAH, that was scary"!

After getting drenched on the water buckets we headed over to Aquaman. Beemer was super excited about Aquaman until he started seeing the ride in action. He wanted to get outta there. We were already part of the way through our wait so I convinced him to stay. It was a big drop for the likes of the two of us. We aren't big on heights! It was fun though. We stood on the bridge afterwards to be completely soaked. My shoes were squishing.

Wanna do that again? Nope!



The sprayers and fans really helped and there were many of them. Though I think they could add a little more shading around the Boom Town rides they have done a pretty good job at interspersing water in the park to help with the heat. (Major bummer Roaring Rapids is closed!)

Twisting back and forth in the water.
 When I told Beemer we were going to Six Flags this morning he said
"YAY, we're gonna get Cotton Candy!" 
I'm not sure what gave him this idea but it was the one thing we bought while we were there! It was a nice little break. $7 is a big steep for cotton candy but it was huge! It would be perfect for a family! We had tried to bring our lunch in but had to eat it outside the gate because they don't allow it. (I'm sorry, but for the price of tickets and parking I ought to be able to bring in my sandwich lunch. We did manage to circumvent both tickets and parking though so I guess we beat the system.)

 
After our cotton candy break we did the carousel. Beemer asked if they would be
around to buckle him in on the horse. When I said no he promptly moved to this seat while
I rode the horse. As soon as the ride ended he promptly ran over and picked up a
piece of trash somebody left in the floor. He takes this kind of initiative frequently.


We rode the antique cars. Beemer drove and I pushed the gas. I distinctly remember
riding these with my cousin as a kid. We fought the whole way about who got to drive.
Hey, somebody had to make up for me not having a brother! Beemer liked the cars.
This was more up his alley than much else we did. I pretty much drug him onto the Mini Mine train and then promised him I wouldn't force him onto any more rides. Even though he said it wasn't that bad he did not want to do it again! I think Aquaman traumatized him a little!


After our carousel ride we wandered down to Mexico and rode the Sombrero. Before it started Beemer said he wanted to get off and not do it. I told him we were already on so let's just go for it (as I thought to myself, I'm going to regret this.) In his words, "It was HORRIBLE." It killed me for the rest of the day and I think it made him a little sick too. I just can't spin in circles and go up and down like I used to. Even swings on the swingset make me dizzy. I haven't felt right since we got off of that darn Sombrero! Up. Down. Slanted. Backwards. Too much for this old lady.

At this point we had walked the entire park so we headed back over to Boom Town while I quickly called The Officer to come pick us up (thanks Six Flags, but you can keep your $20 parking spots). He had been out with Sister running errands and playing/eating lunch at "Walmart." Oh wait, I mean Central Market. Sister was a little confused about their whereabouts! Beemer rode the trucks one more time and wandered up to a cash-only game. I only had $4 so the very nice dad next to us offered us the extra buck and played against us. We lost, but we still came home with a superhero cape.

After getting cleaned up, popping another Excedrin and eating a quick dinner we went to the movie theater with our FREE tickets! We scored 4 from Summer Reading at the library and The Officer was given 4 at work. We saw the new Planes, it was really good. My favorite of all the Cars movies. As usual, the music was great. The kids danced up front at the end.



It was nice to spend some one-on-one time with my sweet boy and a night out as a family. We haven't done that much lately. It's also technically our last day of summer, we plan to start 1st grade tomorrow! You know us though, we'll still be out having fun when school starts. Day 1 we have a date at the pool. Like I said in my last post, in under 2 hours a day school is done so we get to play!




No comments:

Post a Comment