Thursday, July 17, 2014

I Sat


Just as I was about to drag the trash to the curb it started pouring rain. I did something I rarely do. I pulled out a chair and I sat. Not with my camera. Not with my phone. I sat to watch the rain, to listen, soak it in and relax for a rare moment. Soon, two little bodies joined me on a stool and in a stroller. We sat. But, you know how that goes with kids!

Timidly, they threw a toy into the rain and jumped out to get it. Sister opened her mouth wide and caught the rain coming off the house. Giggles of pure joy escaped. Quickly timidity turned to adventure. Running and squealing across the front of the house took it's place.

Beemer offered to drag out the trash for me. "I better go help him," I thought. The water was pooling up on the side of the trash can. "WOAH" the trash can is moving! Look, it's making a dam! The squealing moved to the street, running up and down the gully of the street in the rushing water. All of us in our pajamas might I add.

"Maybe we can make a dam," I offered. Twigs and sticks were drug from the yard. A large rock came from somewhere. Beemer ran in to grab his rock collection. Teamwork at it's best. Science at it's best. Learning, at it's best.

Sometimes when we sit our problems dissipate. The stress of life slows down for a minute. We discover joy that has been forgotten in the moments of craze and to do lists.

We are less than a week from starting First Grade. All summer long I have had my doubts. Can I really do this? Am I really up for it again? Are they missing out on the fun of friends, colorful classrooms and teachers?

But these moments solidify it for me. They are the ones that make it worth it. Because dams aren't built inside colorful classrooms while familial experiences are left at home. Because when it rains and pours it should be taken advantage of. When the sun shines we should soak it up. Because children can learn reading, writing and math in a couple of hours a day and spend the rest playing, creating, and exploring what interests them. Those are the real gems in life. These are the precious memories.

And this is while I homeschool.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Take a moment. Sit. Watch the rare July rain and enjoy the cool. Joys will be unearthed. Passions will be renewed. Stresses will fade.


No comments:

Post a Comment