Monday, June 18, 2012

Vacation Day


My idea of a vacation sure has changed. Last summer it was a trip to Chicago. This summer it's a morning of free VBS for my son, leaving me with only one child to play with. Vacation, seriously.

 I really did cherish the 3 hours I spent with just my daughter. It's never just been the two of us like it was for Beemer and I before she was born. I'm looking forward to spending some time with her next year on his pre-school days.

It was a rare day that I didn't plan anything, so after dropping off Beemer at the church we headed to shop for shoes. In an even more rare event we found two pair of shoes, in the right size, that fit exactly what we needed right now. Did I mention they were on sale? She loves bracelets, so I picked one up for her as well since they were half off! I love Kid to Kid.



As we checked out at the store, my sweet little almost two year old was "caught being good" and given a coupon for a free dessert at McDonalds. It really is amazing how much better they behave when individually. I love good marketing when I see it and this was brilliant. The neighboring McD's has just remodeled and is really cool. So for probably 50 cents on their part they got me in the door. Now that I've seen the playground I'll be back. In fact, I told one of my friends and she went over there this afternoon! I digress. I'm sure there will be a play date here soon.

Check out this soft toddler play area, the whole thing is touch activated to make musical sounds when you touch it. They also have the usual bigger playground next to it, which is musical as well.



I went all the way to the top with Sister. These things make musical sounds when you rotate them.



She had a lot of fun climbing up the slide, hiding and giggling. The slide sings a little tune when you get towards the bottom. She was a little spooked by the sounds initially and didn't have any desire to play. She perked up when another little girl came along, I think she was lost without her big brother to show her the way!




After McD's I asked Sister if she wanted to swing by another resale shop to see if we could find any shoes for a better price. I said "What do you think, should we do it?" And she said "do it!" She's such a little talker. Turns out they're closed on Mondays so we made a quick stop at the antique store. She did so well, she looked and didn't run around and touch stuff. I look forward to many future shopping trips with her.

With such a full morning sister took a late and long nap. So I continued my one kid vacation with Beemer after I mowed the yard for my husband. We birdwatched killed two hornets the size of hummingbirds in my yard. We also went to the beach played in a bowl of sandy water on the back porch after we went to the waterpark slid down the play house slide into a toddler size cheapy pool. There was a spontaneous water hose fight in there somewhere as well.

It was a great day. I feel so fulfilled when I stop what I'm doing and spend time with my babies. It's always worth the time spent and at the end of the day I don't feel guilty for all the times I told them no I couldn't play or turned the tv on to get them out of my hair. Vacation or not, it felt like a break for me and that's exactly what I needed.











No comments:

Post a Comment